Venice developed methods of mass-producing ships in the Arsenal, including the frame-first system to replace the Roman hull-first practice.
At the peak of its efficiency in the early 16th century, the Arsenal employed some 16,000 people who were able to produce a whole ship each day, and could fit out, arm, and provision a newly-built galley with standardized parts on a production-line basis not seen again until the Industrial Revolution.
The Arsenal's main gate, the Porta Magna, was built in about 1460 and was the first Classical revival structure to be built in Venice. It was perhaps built by Antonio Gambello from a design by Jacopo Bellini.
Two lions from Greece situated beside it were added in 1687.
The Arsenal Novissimo was begun in 1473. It enabled the creation of a system similar to an assembly line, in which hulls were constructed in the newer areas of the Arsenal before being fitted out in the old Arsenal.