Following the fall of the Venetian Republic in 1797 the palazzo changed ownership several times.
One 19th century owner, the ballet dancer Marie Taglioni, removed the Gothic stairway from the inner courtyard and also destroyed the ornate balconies overlooking the court.
In 1922 the palazzo was bequeathed to the State by its last owner and saviour Baron Giorgio Franchetti who had acquired it in 1894.
Following extensive restoration to its former glory (including the reconstruction of the stairway), it is now open to the public as a gallery.
the gallery is home to the whole of the Franchetti collection, and has gathered more works over time.
Among the many beautiful works is 'Venus' by Titian, the 'Annunciation of Carpaccio' and 'Mantegna's San Sebastiano'. The gallery also houses works of art by Flemish and Dutch painters, as well as some works by Tintoretto, Giorgione and Paris Bordone.