In 1945 Count Alvise Nicolò Mocenigo, the last descendant of the family, donated this palace to the city of Venice to be used "as a Gallery of Art, to supplement Museo Correr".
In 1985 the overall project of the Civic Museums designated Palazzo Mocenigo as the seat of the Museum and Study Centre of the History of Fabrics and Costumes: it contains the rich collections of ancient textiles and costumes mostly from the Correr, Guggenheim and Cini collections and the suppressed Fortuny Centre of Palazzo Grassi.
Palazzo Mocenigo also contains a well-stocked library specialising in the history of fabrics, costumes and fashion.
The library is situated in the rooms on the first-floor piano nobile that have not conserved their original furnishings; the stocks of fabrics and costumes are situated on the first mezzanine and on the top floor.
On the second mezzanine an area has been set aside for didactic and experimental activities.
The remainder of the building will be opened once the necessary restoration work is finished.
Guide to the Ca' Mocenigo Museum
The collection of this museum is laid out in the rooms of the first piano nobile (first floor) of the palazzo, with an ample selection of garments and accessories.